Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
*** Please excuse my terribly bland and awkward blog appearance. I'm working hard on making it look pretty . . . it's QUITE time consuming!! ***

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Simple Velvet Rose

We've all seen the ladies with the pretty fabric roses in their hair or on their sweaters, and we've all seen the price tags for those same pretty little beauties.  Well, I don't know about you but I'm not down for dropping $15 on a tiny piece of a fabric with a pin on the back when I can make one for FREE or next to nothing.  So, I dug threw my fabric looking for some suitable fabric that would make a nice rose. I first started with some SUPER CUTE polka-dot cotton fabric, but it didn't work out.  So, I dug a bit deeper in the stash and found some black velvet.  It worked perfectly!! I know this isn't the first time someone has made one of these, so I'm sure you all already know how to make one, but in case you don't ....


I started by cutting the velvet into a 3 x 30 ish piece.





[caption id="attachment_104" align="aligncenter" width="300" caption="Step 2"][/caption]

Now I folded it in half, wrong sides together, I didn't want to iron it because I didn't want to mess up the texture of the velvet.  Using a needle and thread I did a simple gathering stitch, on the raw edges.  It's hard to see in this picture, but you don't have to do anything fancy.  Once you are done sewing the whole strip start pulling the thread and the fabric will gather and start turning rolling up on itself.


** Sorry, but I forgot to take a picture of this next step.  I'm totally lame, I know.  If you don't understand the directions, let me know and I will get you a pic ASAP **


Roll the fabric up and sew through the layers with each roll.  It will start looking like a rose immediately.  After it's all rolled up, sew through the layers a few more times and knot it off so the thread doesn't break.



I wanted to make this rose so I could wear it on my shirt, or in my hair, or on my purse (that would be cute!!).  So, I chose to attach a piece of ribbon so I Could just slip a clip or safety pin through it and attach it.  I sewed each end of the ribbon the back, making sure to make the ribbon as taught as possible, so the rose would lay flat.



Here it is all put together.



On my shirt!! It's kinda hard to see because it's such a dark fabric, but I LOVE how it turned out!!



And in my hair!! This would even look cute on a necklace or one of those cute little scrunchy belts on Disney's cute blog Ruffles and Stuff. Maybe if I was a skinny little thing like her I could actually pull one of those belt's off ... Maybe someday :)


I decided to link this up too!!


giveaways


Get your craft on Thurs.




4 comments:

  1. I've seen these and they are pretty pricy.... Yours turned out great...

    Thanks again for joining Get your Craft on Thurs.

    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds like it might be pretty simple and painless, looks totally cute... but i am still fabric and needle illiterate, so you should make me one!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the rose in your hair! thanks for the tutorial as well.

    ~ Emily N. from "too Blessed to Stress"

    ReplyDelete
  4. this was very helpful to me, thank you!
    Laura Pallatin
    laurapallatin.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to leave some love!!